33 ways to reward your customers
Last week I wrote a post on how you can humanize your social media presence. One of the methods that I recommended was rewarding your customers. Sophia.C commented and shared her thoughts that rewarding customers is tough because small businesses have a limited budget.
True, you shouldn’t blow your budget. Little things means a lot in my honest opinion, its the small things that makes a big difference. Some ideas won’t cost you a lot, if they do, you could always do them on a smaller scale.
Here is a list that I have complied with the help of some of my friends from Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
Reward Your Customers
- Most importantly, don’t just reward or give discounts to new customers for buying your product, offer them to old customers too. Old/loyal customers as have a higher life time value.
- Random acts of kindness- read that Hyatt Hotel does this by picking up hotel massages or bar drinks tabs.
- Listen and Act – When @ThomasMarzano tweeted that he loved the hotel bed and bathroom at Four Seasons Hotel, the next day they left Thomas a bottle of bath salt and a handwritten note in his room.
- Upgrade your customers status. (Eg: VIP member)
- Upgrade membership. (Done by Ebay)
- Upgrade service/delivery.(Done by Zappos)
- Surprise your best customers by sending them something they have tweeted /“wishlist”/based on what they like/bio etc. @GaryVee did this.
- Send small gifts to best customers.
- Hide a hand written thank you note in a pocket of a pants/shirt/dress/bag/somewhere etc. (remember reading this somewhere)
- Surprise customers by visiting them and hand delivering items. (inspired by @PretzelCrisps)
- Offer FREE shipping. (Catches my attention every time)
- Offer exceptional service.
- Offer exceptional product.
- Offer exceptional customer service.
- Say thank you.
- Invite customers to a meetup/tweetup.
- Offer customers incentive or early access/test drive/beta test a product/service/event.
- Have customers participate in the event. (Judge etc)
- Remembering your customers business -@nysses
- Straight forward pricing without silly rebates -@niki_dav
- Early notifications on sales -@theomseka
- Send them a special welcome message – @mohitpawar
- Respond to customers ASAP. Less than an hour if possible. Of course not when you’re asleep.
- No limited time offers – Sonia Munoz (Eg: No limited time free shipping at #6)
- Free stuff when customers purchase an item. @TheDigitaleb
- Give them personal attention, online or offline
- Birthday handwritten note. (Nobody writes these anymore)
- Random rewards without them expecting it - @rhysorwin
- Have a reward program: Airlines have miles, vip lounge, etc
- Perks! Goodies! – mayhemstudios
- Make them a brand ambassador of your product -@e_mhotep
- Don’t try to sell to them 24/7
- Get customers to play a role in your business. Eg: Design a logo, a book cover, a book title, slogan, name of a new menu, etc.
What do you think? How do you reward your customers or how would you like to be rewarded as a customer?
Share your thoughts below and I’ll add them to the list.
Photo Credit: FamZoo