How will social search affect businesses
Over the past few months, search engines like google and bing are integrating social into their search engines. After reading some articles on social searches, it got me thinking about what is the future of searches be? How it will affect businesses?
“Google is taking those social circle links at the bottom of the page, pumping them with social steroids, and shoving them towards the top of results pages. For the first time, social is actually going to affect Google Search in a meaningful way.”
In my personal opinion, there can be many good and bad that may come out from it. This is what I think social searches will affect:
- Businesses will concentrate on paid ads/adwords because they can’t rank very well on search engines
- Businesses will concentrate on social influences pay or get influencers to tweet/blog/share about their businesses,
- Rank may not be as important anymore as people trust their friends recommendations more. People would click an article recommended by their friends compared to other articles ranking on google
- Businesses try to be more active on social networking sites such as facebook and twitter because they NEED to make their customers happy.
- Businesses will put more efforts into creating meaningful contents so that social networking users will share it.
There are a few pros and cons this this
- Benefits strong brands as they already have a strong base to share the articles
- Searches becomes more social and targeted
- Brands becomes more social because they don’t have the choice to
- Bad press for brands. As good brands may benefit, bad press on brands might affect them as well. On social media, there will always be supporters and non supporters on a brand
- Ranking on google becomes harder as it takes into account other factors.
However, all these social searches got me thinking, didn’t we have all these a while ago? Wasn’t this called “social bookmarking” although it didn’t appear on google searches, brands do pay to be “bookmarked” on delicious, digg, reddit and now facebok and twitter?
Yours thoughts? What do you think about social searches?